Food Safety Issues/spiral ham

I set a spiral ham in a crock pot that ended up being unplugged at 1:30 I came home at 4:30 and saw the mistake. Can I still heat it safely?

Hi Julie,

Yes. The maximum amount of time that a potentially hazardous food can be within the "Danger Zone " - 41 to 135 degrees F -- is 4 hours before it would have to be pitched.  Since your ham was within this time frame, it is safe to heat and consume the ham. Be sure the ham comes up to a minimum of 165 degrees F before consuming.

Happy New Year.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville