Food Safety Issues/Spiral ham packaging

Question
I ran out of aluminum foil and used the "foil" wrapping my spiral ham was purchased in as the foil tent when baking it for about an  hour at 350.  This wrapping shrunk over top the ham (as I realize now, it was not oven-safe).  Is the ham safe to heat after being baked under this packaging material?

Answer
Hi Debby,

This is a good question which I've never been asked before. I did some research and contacted the www.aluminumfoils.com, the makers of the plastic-coated foil used to cover hams.  They said that this type of foil wrapping is not designed to be heated and that the ham should not be consumed due to the possible leaching of plastics used in the coating of the foil.

Sorry...wish I had better news for you.

Happy New Year.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt