Food Safety Issues/Spiral ham packaging

I ran out of aluminum foil and used the "foil" wrapping my spiral ham was purchased in as the foil tent when baking it for about an  hour at 350.  This wrapping shrunk over top the ham (as I realize now, it was not oven-safe).  Is the ham safe to heat after being baked under this packaging material?

Hi Debby,

This is a good question which I've never been asked before. I did some research and contacted the, the makers of the plastic-coated foil used to cover hams.  They said that this type of foil wrapping is not designed to be heated and that the ham should not be consumed due to the possible leaching of plastics used in the coating of the foil.

Sorry...wish I had better news for you.

Happy New Year.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville