Food Safety Issues/standing rib roast

I just bought a standing rib roast for Christmas dinner, how long can i keep it safely in the refrigerator?  my refrigerator is set at 34 degrees, and if I freeze it today, Thursday, I would have to take it out at least by late tomorrow evening or Saturday morning to have it defrosted on Christmas day (Tuesday), so it seems silly to freeze it for such a short amount of time, am I wrong?

Hi Mary,

The general recommendation for whole muscle beef, purchased fresh, is to refrigerate and use within 5 days. Since you purchased the roast today, Thursday, that means you can safely refrigerate it up to Tuesday - Christmas - before you would need to either cook it or freeze it for future use.

Keep the meat tightly wrapped and in the coldest part of the refrigerator until you are ready to prepare it on Christmas day.

What time is dinner????

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville