Food Safety Issues/standing rib roast

Question
I just bought a standing rib roast for Christmas dinner, how long can i keep it safely in the refrigerator?  my refrigerator is set at 34 degrees, and if I freeze it today, Thursday, I would have to take it out at least by late tomorrow evening or Saturday morning to have it defrosted on Christmas day (Tuesday), so it seems silly to freeze it for such a short amount of time, am I wrong?

Answer
Hi Mary,

The general recommendation for whole muscle beef, purchased fresh, is to refrigerate and use within 5 days. Since you purchased the roast today, Thursday, that means you can safely refrigerate it up to Tuesday - Christmas - before you would need to either cook it or freeze it for future use.

Keep the meat tightly wrapped and in the coldest part of the refrigerator until you are ready to prepare it on Christmas day.

What time is dinner????

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt