Food Safety Issues/turkey stock

I made turkey stock the night that I cooked a turkey.  I refrigerated the stock that same night but I didn't freeze it until 6 days later. Is it safe to use?

Hi Edna,

Sorry for taking so long to answer your question as my computer was down and I was unable to answer until today.

The turkey stock is safe to use because the maximum amount of time that it would be allowed to be used refrigerated is 7 days before it would have to be either frozen or pitched. Since you are within this time frame, the stock is safe to freeze and use.  

When you defrost the turkey stock, however, you must use it within 1 day.  Note you have 7 days of safety and you've already used 6 of those days before it was frozen.  Freezing suspends the 7 day clock, but it doesn't start it all over again.

Hope you have a Happy New Year.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville