Food Safety Issues/turkey stock

Question
I made turkey stock the night that I cooked a turkey.  I refrigerated the stock that same night but I didn't freeze it until 6 days later. Is it safe to use?

Answer
Hi Edna,

Sorry for taking so long to answer your question as my computer was down and I was unable to answer until today.

The turkey stock is safe to use because the maximum amount of time that it would be allowed to be used refrigerated is 7 days before it would have to be either frozen or pitched. Since you are within this time frame, the stock is safe to freeze and use.  

When you defrost the turkey stock, however, you must use it within 1 day.  Note you have 7 days of safety and you've already used 6 of those days before it was frozen.  Freezing suspends the 7 day clock, but it doesn't start it all over again.

Hope you have a Happy New Year.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt