Food Safety Issues/25 year frozen wedding cake

25 years down the track, we still have the top layer of our wedding cake.  It has been sealed and frozen for the vast majority of this time, possibly a little defrosted in transit 5 years ago, then just in the fridge rather than freezer for this last month.  It looks fine.  How can we find out if it is still edible for our anniversary part?  Thanks!

Hi Jenny,

First -- congratulations on 25 years of wedded bliss!

Amazingly, foods that are constantly frozen are safe to consume for years and years.  Food, including wedding cake, does not get better in quality the longer that it is frozen, but it does remain safe to consume. Fortunately, the food ingredients in wedding cake are not considered potentially hazardous so they can be in the refrigerator longer than other foods.

My fear is that while the cake is "safe" to consume it will probably not be very tasty, giving an old, stale flavor.  Is it possible to "pre-taste" the cake to determine if the flavor is not going to make both of you gag or make a face of disapproval during your party?  Turning the cake over and eating a small portion that won't show that you have messed with the cake is an option.

Again, congratulations and best wishes for 25 more years.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville