Food Safety Issues/Frozen soup left on counter

Question
I left curried coconut lentil soup out on the counter to defrost.  It was rock solid when i put it out.  Didn't get home to find it still out until 12 hrs later.  Threw it right into the fridge.  Still ok to eat?  Or do I toss it?

Answer
Hi Lisa,

The recommendation is to not consume potentially hazardous foods that have defrosted at room temperature.

While your soup does not contain meat or poultry, cooked lentils are considered a potentially hazardous food that can also support the growth of harmful bacteria when given the right environment.  The right environment includes a temperature between 41 to 135 degrees F for more than 4 hours.  Since your soup was out 12 hours, you are way beyond the safe zone and the recommendation is to pitch the soup.

Unfortunately, you can't tell if the soup is still safe to consume by just sight, smell or taste so to be safe, pitch the soup.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt