Food Safety Issues/Raw Turkey meatloaf

Question
I prepared a turkey meatloaf on Tuesday late afternoon, but am not able to bake it until Thursday.  It has been continuously refrigerated (except during preparation). Is it still safe to cook and serve?

Answer
Hi Lori,

The general guideline for maximum safety of fresh, raw ground poultry, is to cook or freeze it within 2 days of purchase. If you purchased the ground turkey on Tuesday then Thursday would be the last date for cooking it safely.  If you purchased the turkey before Tuesday then I would not take a chance and pitch the meatloaf.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt