Food Safety Issues/Raw Turkey meatloaf

I prepared a turkey meatloaf on Tuesday late afternoon, but am not able to bake it until Thursday.  It has been continuously refrigerated (except during preparation). Is it still safe to cook and serve?

Hi Lori,

The general guideline for maximum safety of fresh, raw ground poultry, is to cook or freeze it within 2 days of purchase. If you purchased the ground turkey on Tuesday then Thursday would be the last date for cooking it safely.  If you purchased the turkey before Tuesday then I would not take a chance and pitch the meatloaf.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville