Food Safety Issues/Refrigerator temperature

Question
Basic question is - is there any leeway in this 40 degree safety temperature for food?
I put food in our garage refrigerator, a relatively new frigidaire usually used for extra fruit. I checked the temp all afternoon and it was 34-39 degrees, usually 34-36. So I trusted it and left the food in overnight. However, at 3 am when I checked it, the refrigerator was 40 degrees, and at 7 am it was also 40 degrees. I was concerned because that is right on the edge of safe and and doesn't allow for thermometer error. So I used my instant read in a ground turkey/macaroni casserole that was in there. It registered a bit less than 40 in some areas, but 42 degrees in others. So I put all the food back in my kitchen refrigerator this morning, but don't know what to think about it - safe or not?

Answer
The rule is it must be held at 41F or below. I keep my refrigerator between 36-38F. I wouldn't worry at all about a few degrees higher. In New York the rule use to be refrigerated food must be held below 45F. That was changed a few years back in an effort to follow the federal FDA model food code. I'm sure you already turned your refrigerator down a little bit.  

Food Safety Issues

Carl LaFrate