Food Safety Issues/Frozen ham

I have a fully cooked unopened ham in the freezer since Christmas 2012.  Is it safe to defrost it a year later to eat.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Jen,

Yes, any food that is continually frozen is safe to consume.  The question is really a matter of quality -- not safety.  This is why frozen food guidelines recommend using ham within 2 months for best quality.  After 2 months, the quality of the ham may deteriorate (ie change in taste, color or texture) but it is still safe to consume.

I would definitely defrost and reheat the ham as soon as possible.  After all, nothing gets better with age except women!

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville