Food Safety Issues/pork tenderloin

I removed a pork tenderloin from the freezer with a "sell by
12/15/12" date.  Is it still safe to cook and eat?  I have a daughter with Crohn's disease and I don't want to take any chances. Thank you.

Hi Joann,

As long as the pork was continually frozen it is safe to consume for years past the sell by date.  The issue becomes quality of the product as long-term freezing can cause flavor, color and texture changes.  These changes are not harmful to consume, just make the meat taste old.  Freezer guidelines are based on quality -- not safety.

So yes, it is safe to cook and eat the tenderloin if it has been continually frozen.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville