Food Safety Issues/Turkey bacon cross contamination

Hi Carol,
There's not much I can do now but when I just bought a bagel I believe the worker touched frozen turkey bacon and did not change his gloves. I ate part of the bagel then stopped. And went a bit overboard probably cleaning where the container the bagel was in was.
I washed my hands.
but I don't want food poisoning and I'm pregnant on top of that.
thank you.

Hi Sheri,

First....congratulations on your pregnancy.  Here's hoping everything goes smoothly with the results being a beautiful new baby!!!

You do not need to be worried concerning possible cross contamination between frozen turkey bacon and a bagel. Since it sounds like the place where you purchased the bagel was a deli I assume the bacon was pre-cooked. Pre-cooked frozen bacon is not a food that redily supports the growth of harmful bacteria. Now if you told me that the worker handled raw chicken or raw ground beef -- well that would be a completely different scenerio and one that I would be concerned with cross contamination.

So rest easy and don't be overly concerned as the chances for cross contamination and resulting food borne illness are almost non-existent.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville