Food Safety Issues/Is it safe to use a cookie tin to bake in?

My wife had recently made a flan using a Christmas cookie tin. I explained to her after the fact that I do not think that it is safe to eat because looking at the cookie tin it had a yellow tint on the inside. Now that she has already bake the flan and remove it from the cookie tin it doesn't have that yellow tint anymore and I'm afraid that it was some kind of Apoxsee or chemical that had leached into the Flan. What do you think?
Thank you!

Hi Nick,

Decorative cookie tins are not designed to bake food but only for storing already baked items.  The yellow tint was a sealer on the inside of the tin and is now part of your wife's flan.  You should definitely not consume the flan as the coating has leached into it and could be harmful to consume.

Now you know what to get your wife for Christmas  -- a flan pan!

Happy Holidays.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville