Food Safety Issues/left out chicken wings

can you eat cooked "shop bought" "chicken wings" left out of fridge for 24 hours.

Hi Jason,

While your wings may still look good, smell fine and taste delicious, it is entirely possible that they could have you running for the bathroom.  You see, food borne illness bacteria don't give off any signals that they are present like food spoilage organisms which cause off flavors, texture and smells.  Food spoilage organisms in themselves don't cause illness but they can be masking more dangerous food borne illness organisms that do.

And to add insult to injury, some food borne illness organisms can produce a toxic waste product (that is not deactivated by heat) as they grow that can make you ill.  This is why simply reheating foods that have been temperature abused does not automatically make they safe to consume.

So you can see that when foods that require refrigeration after heating -- like chicken wings -- are left at room temperature for 24 hours, the chances for food borne illness goes up tremendously.  And since you can't tell by sight, smell or taste if they are still safe the recommendation is not to take a chance and pitch them.

Sorry...wish I had better news for you.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville