Food Safety Issues/Ganache food safety

Question
Dear Carl
I am fromt Brisbane, Australia and am part of a cake decorating group.  A lot of the members are in the process of trying to register their home kitchens to sell cakes and the local councils are telling them that they are not allowed to use cream or milk in their icings/frostings/ganache.  Ganache is the most popular way of covering a cake before put fondant on top and so this is causing concern.  We are having trouble finding any information about this as the general belief is that the chocolate being mixed with the cream changes the composition of the cream and it can last longer at room temperature.  Can you provide any information (or direct us to any literature) which might support this or indeed explain that it possibly isn't safe?

Any information you might have would be greatly appreciated.I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Kind regards
Karen

Answer
Hi Karen,

My experience with Ganache is limited to being a fan of eating this delicious chocolate. The reason cream or milk can't be used, as you are likely aware, is that cream and milk are potentially hazardous as they can support the growth of dangerous bacteria including salmonella and listeria. Items containing these ingredients must be refrigerated. I'm sure if you kept the cakes refrigerated they would likely be okay with government  regulatory agencies. I don't know anything about the chocolate changing the composition of the cream making it safe and extending the shelf life when unrefrigerated. Possibly the mixture lowers the moisture enough to make it difficult for the bacteria to reproduce. I'll be that's the reason the shelf life gets a boost. What I will say is that the risk of food poisoning from frosting containing cream and milk is very low. The risk for spoilage is much greater. Where I live in NY cakes with frosting containing milk, cream, sour cream must be refrigerated. Bakers tell me they want these cakes refrigerated because it extends the shelf life and ensures a good quality frosting. Bottom line...you are likely going to have to keep these cakes refrigerated. What I would do is contact a local regulatory inspector and ask them if you have any options. Even if you do you may not like them as good bakers don't want people messing with their formulations! Sorry I couldn't be of any help to you. I did some research and found there really isn't any option but to refrigerate the cakes. So sorry Karen. I feel like I let you down.  

Food Safety Issues

Carl LaFrate