Food Safety Issues/Home bakery inspects Kane County Illinois

I have a family member who wants to bake and sell cupcakes out of her house. We have looked for who would inspect the cooking area but found nothing that tells us. It seems that home bakeries are not inspected by any department in Kane County. Do you know where we might get more answers.
Thank you,
Raymond Maynes

Hi Raymond,

The Kane County Health Department - Environmental Health Services Division -- is responsible for all food inspections of kitchens within the county.  You can reach the Kane County Health Department at:

Kane County Environmental Health Services
1240 N. Highland Ave., Aurora, IL 60506
1750 Grandstand Place, Elgin, IL 60123

In 2011, Illinois adopted a "Cottage Food Law" which allows the limited production of non-potentially hazardous foods in home kitchens for sale only at Farmer's Markets.  The Kane County Health Department must be notified if you are wanting to produce cup cakes and other baked goods out of your home kitchen AND you will be limited to selling your products at Farmer's markets. If you are wanting to sell to other markets, restaurants, individuals, etc., the health department is going to require you to have a separate kitchen from your family kitchen.

Your best option is to contact your Kane County Health Department and discuss with them what your are interested in doing.  They will guide you as to what is allowed in the county.

Good luck.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville