Food Safety Issues/ice cream mold

I have a pewter ice cream mold. It is older than 50 years because my wife got it from her mother nearly 40 years ago. Her mother owned a long time before that. My question is,  what do the initials  " C C" mean on the bottom of the mold?

Hi Peter,

I do not know the answer to this question but submitted it to an expert in vintage pewter ice cream molds and hopefully he will respond with an answer.  When I hear from him I'll post his reply.

Until then...

Hello again,

I heard back from Dad's Follies - a website that deals with antique pewter ice cream mold -- and they said the "CC' refers to Charles Cadot et Cie, a mold maker who operated in Paris between the years 1826 to 1935. He was one of the earliest European makers of ice cream molds.

As you probably know, ice cream molds were made of pewter to keep the ice cream frozen longer, and yet to allow for the ice cream to be removed more easily from the mold. The old ice cream molds were made to hold enough ice cream for one person.

Unfortunately, due to lead content, old pewter ice cream molds are not recommended to be used today.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville