Food Safety Issues/jelly making

Question
does it matter what type of pot used to sterilize?  I read some where you should not use aluminum.

Answer
Hi Diane,

No, it does not matter what kind of pot is used to boil canning jars as long as the pot is designed for cooking.  Aluminum cookware is fine to use for sterlizing jars.  

Aluminum cookware can darken when acid-based foods are cooked in them. This may be what you have read/heard about avoiding the use of aluminum.  Even aluminum foil, placed on top of acid foods can not only darken the foil but cause small holes in the foil where the acid in the food reacts with the aluminum. Tiny black dots of aluminum salts can "pepper" the acid food (such as tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, chili, etc) if left in contact with the foil for several days.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt