Food Safety Issues/jelly making

does it matter what type of pot used to sterilize?  I read some where you should not use aluminum.

Hi Diane,

No, it does not matter what kind of pot is used to boil canning jars as long as the pot is designed for cooking.  Aluminum cookware is fine to use for sterlizing jars.  

Aluminum cookware can darken when acid-based foods are cooked in them. This may be what you have read/heard about avoiding the use of aluminum.  Even aluminum foil, placed on top of acid foods can not only darken the foil but cause small holes in the foil where the acid in the food reacts with the aluminum. Tiny black dots of aluminum salts can "pepper" the acid food (such as tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, chili, etc) if left in contact with the foil for several days.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville