Food Safety Issues/Pork butt

I used a succor rub on a pork butt and double wrapped it on a cookie sheet to be smoked the next day. Due to bad weather and then a death in the family it has been in the refrigerator for going on 4 days now. Is it safe to smoke it or has it been sitting to long? I don't want to give anybody food poisoning. Thank you!

Hi John,

Do you remember the "sell by" date on the pork butt?  You would have 2-3 days past this date that you could safely refrigerate the pork before it would need to be cooked or frozen for future use.

Chances are very good that you are within this window and it would then be safe to smoke.  Be sure that the internal temperature of the smoked butt is at least 155 degrees F before removing it from the smoker.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville