Food Safety Issues/Self-defrosting refrigerator freezer question

My Amana refrigerator is maybe 19 years old--has the freezer part on top. The freezer is self-defrosting. Apparently it does this by letting the temperature in the freezer go up several times a day or something. When I randomly check the freezer thermometer it is mostly zero, but it actually gets up to thirty degrees when it is going through it's cycle, and the ice cream is noticeably less hard. Is this the way it is supposed to work? And also, does this daily repeated cycling up and down shorten the time I can safely leave meat or vegetables in the freezer? I have always read that food held at zero degrees is safe indefinitely, but this is not constantly at zero degrees--and I know it's not supposed to be used as if it were a deep freeze--but I'm not sure how long to trust a pound of ground turkey or a bag of broccoli now...just started wondering.

It should not be going up to 30F even on a defrost cycle. Even going as high as 30F the frozen food will remain safe but the quality will suffer. The constant change in temperature will likely lead to freezer burn issues. This is from the temperature fluctuation which dries out the food over time. You should call in a repair man. It may be as simple as your refrigerator needing a charge of cooling gas.  

Food Safety Issues

Carl LaFrate

I can answer food safety questions relative to food processing, retail food and food salvage after a catastrophic event such as a hurricane, flood, ammonia leak or fire. Questions related to HACCP, Regulatory, GFSI, SQF, BRC, liability issues, contamination events, pest infestation, pest control methodology,food safety defense, pathogen prevention such as L. Monocytogenes control in food processing and retail, any subject related to food safety including at home issues.

30 years experience as a food safety consultant working for the top food processors, food retailers and insurance companies that write liability policies related to food processing, storage and distribution. My firm employees 6 full time food safety auditors. I work for top law firms throughout the USA and am a staff consultant for Douglas Peterson and Associates, one of the top forensic engineering firms in the world. I also work with Risk Solutions International, a global leader in risk management.

New York State Association for Food Protection, past president, executive board Central Atlantic States Association of Food and Drug Officials

Progressive Grocer Magazine Smart Money Magazine Private Label Buyer Magazine Supermarket News Natural Foods Merchandiser Magazine Food Service Director Magazine NYS Association for Food Protection Annual Report NYS Association for Food Protection Newsletter

Syracuse University, Microbiology/Biology NYS College of Environmental Sciences, Plant and Environmental Biology Cornell University, Food and Dairy Processing

Wm. Hickey Award (2006), NYS Association for Food Protection, for contributions in the field of food safety and sanitation New York State Integrated Pest Management Award (2007), NYS Assoc. for Food Protection, for contributions in the filed of integrated pest management.

Pillsbury, Agri-Mark, Associated Grocers, Beatrice Foods, Cargill, Southern Cold Storage, Quaker, Ben & Jerry’s, Delverde Pasta (Italy), New York Bakery, Cabot Cheese, Hazelwood Farms, General Mills, Price Chopper Supermarkets, P&C Supermarkets, Great American Supermarkets, Tops Markets, Big M Supermarkets, Big Bear Supermarkets, Frito-Lay Distribution Centers, IBP, Excell, Eckerd Drugs, Rite Aid Drug Stores, Fay’s Drugs, Carl’s Drugs, AWI Wholesale Food Distribution, McLane Food Distributors, Golub Food Distribution, many supermarket chains (many include large scale specialty food service operations), Burger King, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, McDonald’s, Darden Foods (Red Lobster, Olive Garden), LSG Skychefs (Germany, US), Glen Mills Schools, Cornell University, Crider Poultry, Caesar’s Palace, The Oneida Indian Nation, Taylor Meat Packing, UCB Packaging Films