Food Safety Issues/tortellini soup left on counter overnight

Question
My homemade tortellini soup - containing cream cheese - was accidentially left on the counter overnight?  I have since refrigerated it.  Is it still ok to eat it?

Answer
Hi Sheila,

Unfortunately, there is no way to telling by sight, smell or taste if your soup is still safe to consume.

What we do know is that potentially hazardous foods -- foods that require time and temperature control in order to remain safe to consume -- that are left at room temperature over 4 hours have an increased chance that any harmful bacteria present can grow to levels that could make you ill. While reheating the soup would kill any live bacteria that may be present, some harmful bacteria have the capability of producing a waste product that is toxic and is not destroyed by heat. In other words, reheating a food that has been temperature abused is not a guarantee that it is safe to consume.

Until we have a way of determining if a food that has been temperature abused is safe to consume, the recommendation is to not take a chance and pitch the food.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt