Food Safety Issues/baked a ham; plastic melted in it, is it safe?

Question
Recently bought a ham to bake and it had a plastic "cap" on one end; forgot to take it off and baked it with the plastic piece on it. Of course now I have melted plastic all over one end of my ham.  Is it safe to eat the other end of the ham or has the plastic made the whole ham not safe to eat? Don't want the family getting sick.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Answer
Hi Pam,

According to the Food Safety and Inspection Service (part of USDA), if the round plastic bone protector is left on the ham during cooking, the plastic may melt and give off a chemical odor that can permeate the meat around the plastic.  If the ham is cooked in an open pan the meat next to the round plastic protector can be cut off and the ham consumed.  If the ham was cooked in a closed pan, the recommendation is to not consume the ham,

For an article from FSIS that covers this topic, please see:  http://www.fsis.usda.gov/pdf/hock_locks_and_other_accoutrements.pdf

The plastic piece is designed to cover the bone end so it doesn't tear the outer plastic wrap.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt