Food Safety Issues/beef /meat loaf little raw

i cook meatloaf and it says  160 but when i cut it up  thier some parts that are pink is it safe to eat

Hi Christopher,

It all depends upon the temperature of the meat -- not the color.  Ground beef that is cooked to a minimum of 160 degrees F is considered cooked and safe to consume.

Ground beef can turn brown before it reaches 160F or it may retain a pink color at temperatures above 160F.  Cooked color change in ground beef depends on a number of factors, including pH, meat source, packaging, freezing history and added ingredients  This is why just using your eyes to determine doneness is not always accurate.

If the center of your meatloaf did register 160 degrees F and you are using a thermometr that has been calibrated so that you know it is accurate, it should be safe to consume.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville