Food Safety Issues/beef /meat loaf little raw

Question
i cook meatloaf and it says  160 but when i cut it up  thier some parts that are pink is it safe to eat

Answer
Hi Christopher,

It all depends upon the temperature of the meat -- not the color.  Ground beef that is cooked to a minimum of 160 degrees F is considered cooked and safe to consume.

Ground beef can turn brown before it reaches 160F or it may retain a pink color at temperatures above 160F.  Cooked color change in ground beef depends on a number of factors, including pH, meat source, packaging, freezing history and added ingredients  This is why just using your eyes to determine doneness is not always accurate.

If the center of your meatloaf did register 160 degrees F and you are using a thermometr that has been calibrated so that you know it is accurate, it should be safe to consume.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt