Food Safety Issues/dirty dishsoap residue

Question
I put dishsoap and water in a bowl and used a rag to clean my dehydrator racks. When i was done, i poured the water out and put the bowl in the diswasher. The next day, forgetting i hadnt run the dishwasher, i used the bowl to mix the marinade for jerky. Is the jerky going to be safe to eat?

Answer
Hi Chuck,

Chances are very good that the bowl you used was fairly clean of soap residue when you dumped out the water and placed the bowl in the dishwasher.  In other words, the amount of soap residue was probably minimal.

Some of the ingredients in dish soap can cause burning of the espohagus if consumed in a large amount.  However, I think your residueal soap on the dish, coupled with the ingredients of your marinade (probably acidic in nature) will make the affects of this one-time soap exposure non-harmful.

Who knows, it may season your jerkey making it the best batch yet!!!

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt