Food Safety Issues/expired sauerkraut

Question
have a jar of garlic sauerkraut and the expiration date is 2-2013 wonder if it is still good to eat

Answer
Hi Alberto,

Best if used by dates on food are for quality only -- they do indicate that a food is not safe to eat past the printed date.  

The dates are used to help grocery stores to rotate their products and to give consumers an idea on how long the product will remain at the highest quality.  After that date, the quality of the product (color, flavor, texture) may not be as high as a younger product but it is still safe to consume.

As long as the jar is sealed and the contents look like a newer product, it will be both safe and tasty.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt