Food Safety Issues/frozen cheese sticks

I recently had to get food at a food pantry,  majority of the food was expired but this item the Farm Rich ftozen cheese sticks were "best by 11/10....I want or need to know rather,if its ok to make and eat or should I throw it away...the bad part of this my family is hungry and need to eat. I fear that because of this need we may end up sick due to the majority of the food is in fact expired.

Hi Michelle,

The date on frozen food is for quality, not safety.  As long as the food was continually frozen they will be safe to consume.  They may have an older taste to them but this is not harmful -- just not as tasty.

Frozen food does not get better the longer that it stays frozen.  But the good news is it is safe to consume.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville