Food Safety Issues/Fully cooked packed ham

Question
The expiration date of use by has expired a month76xSW ago.  is it still safe to heat and eat?

Answer
Hi Annette,

I assume from your question that the "use-by" date on the ham was last month and the ham has been refrigerated -- not frozen. If so, the recommendation is that the ham should not be use after that date.

In the future, if you can't use a ham by the "Use-by" date, the recommendation is to freeze the ham for up to 2 months for maxiumum quality.  You can freeze it longer and the ham will stay safe, but the longer it is frozen the quality decreases.

Sorry...looks like you'll need to purchase a new ham for Easter.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt