Food Safety Issues/Green olives and pickled mushrooms

We entertained a group of friends and I put out green olives and pickled mushrooms for cocktails. They were out at room temperature for about 6 hours and then put them into the refrigerator. Are they still safe to consume?
Thank you!

Hi Sara,

Because of the aciditcy of fermented green olives and pickled mushrooms, they do not readily support the growth of harmful bacteria.

Refrigeration is recommended after opening jars of olives and mushrooms to increase shelf life and to maintain quality -- it is not for safety.  Olives and mushrooms will eventually mold, even in the refrigerator, but will do so  much faster at room temperature, thus the recommendation to refrigerate after opening.

So yes...they are safe to consume.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville