Food Safety Issues/food safety

Question
Hi, I just read your answer to question about black residue on inside of lid of canned tomatoes.  You said the acidity of the tomatoes produced that interacting with the aluminum.  Might that be what caused the black gooky in my can of chicken broth too?  I wouldn't have thought of chicken broth as being that acidic though, but I do believe the taste is affected as well.  My main concern is safety of course.

Thanks!

Answer
Hi Darlene,

I'm sorry to have taken so long in answering your question.

Chicken broth is not an acidic food like tomatoes but it can have a sulfide reaction between the broth and lid which can produce a dark deposit on the lid. This is not unsafe to consume.

Here is a research abstract on this very subject that you may enjoy reading: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid=1686359&show=pdf

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt