Food Safety Issues/microwave

i made a microwave ziti dinner and left it overnite in microwave  is it safe to eat now

Hi Gary,

The problem is you can't tell if the food is still safe to consume or not.  Bacteria that cause harm don't give off signals they are still present by changing the taste, smell or texture.  

While reheating would kill any live bacteria present, some have the capability of producing waste products that are not deactivated by heat and may make you ill.  In other words, reheating the zita will not automatically make it 100% safe to consume.

The recommendation is to not take a chance and pitch the food.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville