Food Safety Issues/Question from the TV show BONES

Hello, Carol. My name is Jon and I'm a researcher for the FOX television show Bones. It's my job to make sure our show is as accurate as possible and I'm writing you in the hopes you can help us with a question for our next episode.

We're hoping to speak to someone with knowledge of the canning industry. Specifically, we'd love to speak to you about the processing of canned food, something like a stew like Dinty Moore. We'd like to know how the assembly line works, what equipment is used and how it is cleaned. And, since we're  a fake crime show, I'm sorry to say we're also looking for any equipment that could be used as a murder weapon.

Might you be interested in speaking with our writers, briefly and at your convenience, to assure the accuracy of our episode?

We appreciate any help you may provide.

Jon Wellner

Hi Jon,

Thank you for contacting me but your question is beyond my expertise.  I am an expert in the area of home food preservation, not commercial preservation.

However, I do have contacts across the US that are experts in this area.  One such contact is Paul Courtright at The Ohio State University. Paul is the Food Pilot Plant Supervisor and has experience in the commercial canning industry --both large and small production facilities.  He is a wonderful, easy to talk to individual that I'm sure will be able to answer all of your questions.

You can contact Paul at:

Phone: (614) 292-4045

I have talked with Paul and he is expecting your call/email.

Good luck and if you ever have a need for home food preservation questions, I'll be more than happy to help.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville