Food Safety Issues/Is it mandatory for food service employees to wear an apron...

Question
Is it mandatory for school food service employees to wear an apron while preparing or cooking? Would you happen to know which regulatory authority and specific rule governs this regulation? I know it seems like an obvious question but the actual regulation is very hard to find.
Many Thanks,
Mike

Answer
Hi Michael,

I'm not aware of any food code rule that requires aprons to be worn while cooking. While aprons are generally worn while cooking to keep your clothing clean, it is not required by law to do so.

The Pennsylvania Food Code states:

46.137. Cleanliness of outer clothing.

Food employees shall wear clean outer clothing to prevent contamination of food, equipment, utensils, linens, single-service articles and single-use articles.

Local codes and employer mandates CAN require rules that are more strigent than the state code. So, for example, your employer could require an apron and this is within their rights to do so.  They can not make you do something less stringent than the code, but they can require you to do things that are more stringent.

Hope this is helpful.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt