Food Safety Issues/reheating food left out overnight

Question
I forgot to place in the refrigerator a fully cooked chicken casserole made with stuffing and cream of chicken soup. I removed it from the oven around 8:00 p.m. and put it in the fridge at 6:00 a.m.. If I reheat this thoroughly, will it be safe to eat?

Answer
Your very close on this one. The rule says that potentially hazardous food must cool from 135F to 40F in 6 hours. If you cooked it to around 350F it would cool to 140F in about 90 min or so. That means it would be in the danger zone starting about 3:30-4:00am. There is a safety factor built into the rule- it actually takes 8 hours for microorganisms to multiply to a level to cause food poisoning- you still are 30min - 1 hour into the risk zone. The problem is that certain bacteria form toxins which cooking can't remove. These bacteria are usually associated with infected handlers who prepared the food or by unclean surfaces or cross contamination from raw chicken blood. Since I do this for a living I would have to say in good conscience to throw it out. I'm never in a position to confirm food handlers weren't ill, washed their hands properly, worked under sanitary conditions, didn't cross contaminate, etc. I wasn't there when the prep was done. You did the prep so you know these things. If you prepped properly the risk is very very low as long as you reheat to at least 165F. If I prepped the casserole - I know I did it safely - I would reheat it. Only you know how you prepped it. If you do chose to reheat it use a thermometer and reheat it to above 185F. Hope I didn't confuse you too much!

Food Safety Issues

Carl LaFrate