Food Safety Issues/queso left out overnight

Question
I bought queso at a local taco restaurant and accidentally left it out overnight. It was left out for at least 12 hours. The container was shut and my air conditioning was on the entire time. Is there any chance this didn't go bad or should I just get rid of it?

Answer
Hi Laura,

Sure...there's a chance that the queso is still safe to consume.  Then again, there's the possibility that it's not.  The problem is you can't tell by sight, taste or smell.  Microorganisms that cause foodborne illness don't give off signals that they are present.

Unfortunately, the recommendation for potentially hazardous foods (foods that require time and/or temperature to remain safe to consume) that have been in the "Danger Zone" - 41 degrees F to 135 degrees F- for over 4 hours should be pitched.  Queso fits into this category of food that is capable of supporting the growth of harmful microorganisms when temperature abused. Therefore the recommendation is to pitch it and not take a chance.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt