Food Safety Issues/Chicken

Left a bagof  vacuumed packed frozen chicken breasts in car in garage overnite...bad?

Hi Jo,

Who knows?????

There isn't a way to tell if your chicken is still safe by sight, smell or taste.  What we do know is that potentially hazardous foods, such as chicken, if given the right environment (a temperature between 41 and 135 degrees F and time) bacteria, if present, can rapidly grow. While cooking will destroy any live bacteria that may be present, some bacteria while growing can produce a waste product that is toxic and not destroyed by heat.  Thus cooking a food that has been temperature/time abuse is not a 100% guarantee that the food is now safe to consume.

The recommendation is to not take a chance and pitch the chicken.  Why take a chance with your health when you know that the chances for contamination have been increased significantly.  Is it worth getting ill?

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville