Food Safety Issues/cooked bacon

Bacon was cooked in the oven until fully cooked. Bacon was removed from oven a placed in a pan, but was left out for approximately 30 minutes. My question is if the bacon was not kept at a temperature above 135 for 30 minutes is it potentially a health and safety hazard. Or can the bacon be consumed with out risk of harm.

Hi Juana,

The FDA Food Code allows food that was originally held above 135 degrees F to be below this temperature up to 4 hours and still be consumed. After 4 hours, the food must be pitched and can not be reheated.

Since your bacon was out of temperature just 30 minutes and you knew it was above 135 degrees initially, it is still considered safe to consume. If you were a restaurant and you were using temperature as a control for food safety, then the recommendation would be to reheat the bacon to 165 degrees and then hold above 135 degrees for service.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville