Food Safety Issues/Red streak in Banana

I bit into a banana and found that it was crunchy. When looking upon the banana it had a Red Hard streak down one side of it.

I was just wondering if you knew what this was? and if it is dangerous in anyway as i did swallow some of it?

Many thanks

Hi Molly,

I have submitted your question to a banana expert at the University of Hawaii and am waiting his response.  As soon as I received an answer I will post the reply.

Hello again Molly,

I heard back from Dr. Scot Nelson at the University of Hawaii and he said the following:

I know of no plant pathogen or insect pest that can cause that symptom on banana fruits. I suspect either a plant mutation or a nutritional deficiency, and do not think there is any human health hazard associated with the fruit.

So the good news is that you consuming the red streak is not harmful, though it probably was not very tasty!

Take care and if I can be of further service, please let me know.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville