Food Safety Issues/yogurt safety

I opened a container of yogurt and a large puff of air came out.  The foil lid on the
container was also raised.  I checked the smell which was good and no mold, is it
safe to eat?  Thank You

Hi Anna,

When a yogurt container is swollen and the lid puffed,, this is an indication that the yogurt may have been improperly stored sometime during it's life.

If the yogurt is a fruit-on-the-bottom type, it may have been inadequately refrigerated, perhaps at the grocery store or in transit, causing the fruit to ferment and release gases. This would cause the lid to bulge.

Fermented fruit is not harmful, but since you canít really know what causes the swelling, itís best to toss the yogurt. I would also contact the maker of the yogurt (their phone number or website information is on the container)and tell them of your situation.  Chances are they will want to keep you as a customer and will send you coupons for future purchased of their product.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville