Food Safety Issues/Black spots on Kidney beans

Question
Kidney Beans
Kidney Beans  
This is my first year growing Kidney beans.  I am harvesting them now, and finding many with black spots on them.  On some it it is on the side of the bean- on others it is along the top "seam".  I cannot tell what it is.  I am unsure as to whether this is safe to keep.  When I harvested my pinto beans, some of them had kind of reddish-orange spots, which I kept. We recently had two weeks of solid rain, and I was wondering if this could have affected them.  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Karen,

This question is really not in my area of expertise and should be directed to a plant specialist.  I suggest you contact your local Cooperative Extension Service Office through the University of Missouri and ask to speak to a fruit and vegetable horticultural educator who should be able to answer your question.

To find your local Extension office, please see: http://extension.missouri.edu/directory/Places.aspx

Good luck.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt