Food Safety Issues/food preservation

I make vegetable puree by boiling and mixing beetroot tamato and long i can preserve that and does that looses nutritional value after preserving

Hi Leena,

I do not have a recommended canning guideline for preserving vegetable puree. The problem is that it is a very dense mixture with low acidity which means it would require a pressure canner and a long period of time for adequate heat penetration to kill all bacteria associated with the foods being canned. A long canning time would mean a decrease in the nutritional value of the product.

It is possible to can the individual vegetables and then puree them when you open the jars. Can the vegetables chopped, diced, or sliced and puree them only AFTER opening the jars. For instructions on how to can the individual vegetables, please see:

Since I can't recommend canning the puree your best option for long term storage is freezing the mixture.  Freezing, on the other hand, would not affect the nutritional value.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville