Food Safety Issues/Safety of frozen chop

I froze a pork shop in Feb. of this year. It's now Sept. Is it safe to defrost and fry it?

Hi Barb,

As long as the pork chop was continously frozen it will safe to consume for years.  

The freezer guideline for how long pork chopes should be stored is 4 to 6 months for maximum quality.  However, it will be safe to consume for a much longer time -- even years. The quality of the pork chop will decrease with each passing month past the recommendation but it is still safe to consume.  After all, freezer burn is not unsafe to consume, just not very tasty.

Your pork chop is just barely past the 6 months so you should not even notice any changes in quality once defrosted and prepared.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville