Food Safety Issues/Coon Cheese Mould Consumption

Well I recently went a bought some Coon Cheese Nibbles or what ever as I like to snack on food while doing homework and being small cheese cubes packaged in small portions it seemed convenient.
Today while doing my work I got some ink on my hands, I wiped it off but it was still slightly stained after that I felt peckish and opened a small sealed bag and started eating them but using bag to funnel small amounts in as my hands were dirty. Half way through and I notice a strange after taste I look in and there was one block almost covered mouldy and two or three pieces with small amount of mould! Checking the label they don't expire until March! I called to complain but their customer support was avaliable of right now...

Hi Kevin,

Fortunately, the consumption of small amounts of mold usually does not cause serious side-effects. Also, you were fortunate to discover the off taste and to stop consuming the cheese when you noticed the mold.

Soft cheeses with a higher water content have the tendency to mold if not handled properly.  Since your cheese nibbles had a "best if used by date" of March 1 and they showed signs of mold 6 weeks before that date, I can only conclude that the product has been mishandled during the transportation or storing stage at the grocery store.

I encourage you to call the customer support line and complain and to take the package back to the place of purchase for a refund.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville