Food Safety Issues/fully cooked Johnsonville polish sausage in sealed package left out over night in car

Question

I saw that you answered a similar question in 2008, but the other person talked about leaving their sausage out overnight in their home.

I left my sausage in the car overnight and the temperature here the day I bought the item was a high of 55 degrees at around 3pm but I bought the sausage late in the evening, close to perhaps 10pm.  Our low overnight was down to around 41 degrees and by the time it was retrieved from the car, it was before 3pm when the high had risen to 53 degrees.

Now when the sausage was brought in it was VERY cold, I would not be exaggerating if I were to say it was colder than if it was in our fridge (which is at the proper temperature for food safety).

The temperatures I stated above were the general temperatures, but it is not unlikely that they were lower than those degrees, but most definitely not higher.

Would the sausages still be safe after being within those temperatures?

Answer
Hi Winter,

From your description it sounds like the sausage maintained a temperature of around 40 to 45 degrees throughout its time in your garage.  While it is possible that the temperature may have been higher chances are good that your sausage is still safe to cook and consume.

If you do decide to eat the sausage, be sure to cook it to a minimum of 155 degrees F.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt