Food Safety Issues/ice cream molds

Question
Hello.  My family owned an ice cream company for nearly 100 years and we have 100s of old molds that we would like to be able to use again.  I know they are not safe as is, but could there be a way to coat them?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks,
Jen

Answer
Hi Jen,

Old pewter ice cream molds that you know contain lead shouldn't be used because of the possibility of the lead leaching out into the ice cream. I assume that all of your old molds are made with this type of pewter.

One way to find out is to talk with the owners of Dad's Follies as they are the experts on old ice cream and chocolate molds.  They will be able to tell you by the stamp of the manufacturer if your molds contain lead.  You can find the contact information for Dad's Follies at http://www.dadsfollies.com/

ASL Pewter in Louisiana, MO is also a great resouce on pewter and they may have suggestions on how to make your pewter molds safe to use. As I write this their website is down but here is their contact information:  Phone: 573-754-3435  imakepewter@msn.com

Good luck.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt