Food Safety Issues/Pesto Sauce in pantry

Question
I bought some pesto sauce from Costco a month and a half ago.  Usually I buy it from the grocery store and it's jarred and on the shelf so I'm just used to putting pesto sauce in my pantry.  However i just realized this Kirkland's pesto sauce came from their refrigerated section and says "keep refrigerated" on it.  Unfortunately i didn't realize this until after i used 2 huge jars along with chicken and other ingredients to make several freezer meals.  I've been searching online and getting different opinons.  Some sites say commercial sauces have to be cooked before sold to kill any possible bacteria and since it was unopened it's probably ok.  Others make it sound like pesto sauce left out is deadly.  It is before the "use by date" and unopened but it's been in my pantry for over a month.  I didn't notice any weird color or smell... it seemed normal.  It's also winter so my pantry hasn't gotten terribly warm.  
Also the meals I used it in are going to be cooked in a crock pot for several hours.  I don't know if that would make it safer.  I really can't afford to waste about $50 worth of food if i don't need to, but definitely don't want to make anyone sick.  
Thanks

Answer
If the pesto sauce says keep refrigerated and it wasn't there is a risk of microbiological contamination by organisms know to cause food poisoning if the pesto is not kept refrigerated at 41F or below. Commonly referred to as pathogens some of these include bacteria that form toxins that cannot be removed from cooking. The risk is very low that this will occur but is your families health worth the risk? I wouldn't hesitate to throw it out along with any freezer meals you made using it as an ingredient. This is not a hard call for me to make.  

Food Safety Issues

Carl LaFrate