Food Safety Issues/Chicken

Question
I bought a pack of unfrozen chicken breasts from Sams Club on 10-13 and placed them in
my fridge where they have sat.  I checked the package and it says sell by 10-22-14. Is it
still good to either eat them or freeze them?

Answer
Hi Cheri,

Yes, the chicken should be safe to cook and consume or freeze.  As long as they were refrigerated at 41 degrees or below and show no signs of food spoilage (sticky flesh, off odors, etc) then the chicken is safe to consume.

For maximum safety, it is recommended to cook or freeze fresh chicken within 2-3 days of purchase. But as long as you keep it cold and use or freeze by the sell by date it should be safe to consume.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt