Food Safety Issues/Chicken

I bought a pack of unfrozen chicken breasts from Sams Club on 10-13 and placed them in
my fridge where they have sat.  I checked the package and it says sell by 10-22-14. Is it
still good to either eat them or freeze them?

Hi Cheri,

Yes, the chicken should be safe to cook and consume or freeze.  As long as they were refrigerated at 41 degrees or below and show no signs of food spoilage (sticky flesh, off odors, etc) then the chicken is safe to consume.

For maximum safety, it is recommended to cook or freeze fresh chicken within 2-3 days of purchase. But as long as you keep it cold and use or freeze by the sell by date it should be safe to consume.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville