Food Safety Issues/coloured popsicle sticks for baking

Hi Carol!  I was just wondering if it is safe to use coloured popsicle sticks for baking.  I want to put one in between an oreo cookie and then coat the cookie with candy melts.  Is this OK?  Thankyou for your time ...Ethel

Hi Ethel,

If the colored sticks are labeled "food grade" then they are safe to use.  Most, if not all, colored popsicle sticks are "craft grade" and are not intended to be used with food as the color is not edible and can rub off on food.

They do make a food grade colored candy paper stick that you might be able to find in your local hobby shop that sells Wilton cake decorating supplies.

Good luck.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville