Food Safety Issues/cornbeef

Hi, My corn beef was left  out overnight in a closed container in the microwave, is it safe to eat?

Hi Geraldine,

The recommendation is that foods that require time or temperature control for safety (foods like meats, poultry, dairy, fish, etc) should not be left in the Danger Zone - 41 to 135 degrees F - for more than 4 hours.  After that time, the chances for microbial contamination increase significantly and could cause harm.

The problem is you can't see, taste or smell microbes so in other words you can't use your sense of taste, smell or sight to determine if a food that has been temperature abused is still safe to consume.  Thus the recommendation to not take a chance and pitch the food.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville