Food Safety Issues/cornbeef

Question
Hi, My corn beef was left  out overnight in a closed container in the microwave, is it safe to eat?

Answer
Hi Geraldine,

The recommendation is that foods that require time or temperature control for safety (foods like meats, poultry, dairy, fish, etc) should not be left in the Danger Zone - 41 to 135 degrees F - for more than 4 hours.  After that time, the chances for microbial contamination increase significantly and could cause harm.

The problem is you can't see, taste or smell microbes so in other words you can't use your sense of taste, smell or sight to determine if a food that has been temperature abused is still safe to consume.  Thus the recommendation to not take a chance and pitch the food.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt