Food Safety Issues/food safe

Question
I made no bake pumpkin tarts. Ingredients- cool whip pumpkin puree and cream cheese. They were left out overnight. ..are they bad?

Answer
Hi Michelle,

The recommendation is that foods that require time or temperature control to remain safe to consume (meats, dairy, fish, poultry, etc) is that they be pitched if they are in the Danger Zone -- 41 to 135 degrees F -- for more than 4 hours.

As your pumpkin tarts contains foods that require refrigeration in order to remain safe to consume, the recommendaiton is to not take a chance and pitch the tarts.  Unfortunately you can not tell by sight, smell or taste if your tarts are still safe to consume, so best to be on the safe side and pitch them.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt