Food Safety Issues/raw cookie dough

Question
i have been eating raw cookie dough for a while now and i wanted to ask is it safe? it contained eggs in it and i usually take it with me for school for a snack and my classes are from 4:25 pm to 9:10 pm so is it bad if i eat it and its been sitting in my bag for a hour or so? i only have a little stomach pain but im not sure if its something minor since im not in pain. Im also not sure if it smells kinda off or its just me but it tasted okay.

Answer
Hi Porsher,

Since the cookie dough contains raw egg, the recommendation is to not consume it because of possible microbial contamination and because you are not keeping it refrigerated.

Raw eggs can contain the harmful microorganism, Salmonella, and if given the right conditions (not being refrigerated) then the organism can grow and could make you ill.  

I suggest if you want to continue taking cookie dough for a snack that you make the dough with a pasteurized egg product (either liquid eggs or in-shell pasteurized egg) and then keep the product in a cooler with ice packs in order to keep it cold.

FYI -- you can't tell if a food is safe to consume by the way it smells, tastes or looks.  Microorganisms that cause food borne illness do not give off any signals that they are present and they can still make you ill.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt