Food Safety Issues/Chicken

Question
I had a chicken wrap for lunch but I didn't finish it.  I left it in my cold car from 11:30 to 3:30. After I got off work I finished eating  it. Am I at risk of a serious illness?  If so what do I need to do.

Answer
Hi Kendralyn,

The good news is that your chances for illness are fairly low.  Now I didn't say non-existent -- just that your odds are definitely in your favor that nothing will happen to you.

Even restaurants are allowed to leave food that would normally need temperature control (either hot or cold) to stay safe to consume, such as chicken, to stay within the Danger Zone -- 41 to 135 degrees F -- up to 4 hours before the food would have to be pitched.  Since you were within this time frame and you said your car was cold, your chances for any food borne illness bacteria to grow to a level to make you ill is pretty remote.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt